Generations: The Chan Legacy on CBC Newsworld Aug 19: Discover Toddish McWong's ancestral Chinese-Canadian roots
You can catch me in action on CBC Newsworld television
Sunday, August 19th, 4pm pst (7pm est)
(or on the picket line at the Vancouver Public Library – see www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com)
Generations: The Chan Legacy
It's the story of how my great-great-grandfather Rev. Chan Yu Tan and
his wife came to Canada in 1896, and how they, their children and
grandchildren overcame racism and challenges, to integrate and help
create the fabric of our Canadian mosaic.
It's an incredible Canadian story, told through the voice of a family that has lived through 7 generations of Canadian history.
it's about the past, the present and the future.
– WW2 Veteran Victor Wong – president of the Chinese Canadian eterans Association in Victoria.
– Helen Wong – who lived in Nanaimo with her grandparents Rev. & Mrs Chan Yu Tan
– Gary Lee, the “Chinese Sinatra” and pioneering actor
– Janice Wong, author of CHOW: From China to Canada
– Tracey Hinder, teenage inaugural BC regional CanSpell Champion
and of course: Todd Wong aka “Toddish McWong”
– creator of Gung Haggis Fat Choy, Robbie Burns Chinese New Year dinner,
See me with:
– my accordion in the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Gardens
– CBC Vancouver television performance special
– 2006 Terry Fox Run in Richmond BC
– Joy Kogawa and the 1st open house event at Kogawa House
The show has had great responses from everybody across the country, friends, family and community members… and even strangers!
Set you vcr
Sunday, August 19th
4pm pst, 7pm est
(channel 26 in Vancouver, channel 20 in Victoria)
Peace & Blessings, Todd